Thursday, January 30, 2014

Snow Days in NC

I am starting to get a little cabin fever... I've been off work Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday thanks to the beautiful snow we got here in eastern NC! Tuesday was a bust... meteorologists were forecasting snow to start around midday and last through Wednesday morning- totaling 8-10"+!! So our schools closed on Tuesday to prepare for the "blizzard". 2:00 rolls around, no snow. 4:00 rolls around, still no snow. 6:00- no snow. 8:00- no snow. Around 9:00 we started to get some action... in the form of sleet! Still no snow! Most people wouldn't say they wished they had gone to work on a day that they were given off... but with talk of making up the day on a Saturday, I was a little frustrated. It seemed it had been cancelled for no reason. I totally understand why they did it, based on the forecast. 

Anyway, I asked Ian to pull our mattress into the living room so we could sleep by the warm fire he had worked so hard to build! And it actually worked!! I am always trying to get him to camp out in the living room with me. It's so fun to do something different! We brought the mattress in from our room and set up our camp! 


It was so toasty!!! We were trying to decrease how hard our heating unit had to work during this storm... so we closed all the doors and kept the fire blazing so the living room would stay warm and the thermostat would register the higher temperature and therefore run less. At this point, it was still sleeting. No sign of snow. I felt like a kid on Christmas because I knew that when we woke up, there would be lots of snow (lots is used loosely here, lots in NC terms at least)! And I was right! 





It was nowhere near the 8-10"+ thanks to the hours of sleet we got versus snow. But it was so beautiful!!! 

We spent the morning with our puppies snuggled up in our warm house. 



That girl loves her daddy!

We ventured out in the afternoon for some snow time! 




The dogs had a hard time finding their tennis ball when it sunk into the snow... it left them a little confused!


We were bundled up!


Dixie LOVED her first big snow! Mostly she liked eating it!


And it is nearly impossible to get a picture of Benni when there is a tennis ball in sight. He is obsessed. 






In all of those pictures he is looking at the tennis ball, not the camera! 



When we came inside, the pups were a little tuckered out... 


5 minutes later...


They loved having the bed in the living room!


Spoiled rotten. 

We drank coffee, hot chocolate, and beer. We ate soup and grilled cheeses, chili, and made snow cream! 

I. Love. Snow. Cream. 

What I love more- chocolate snow cream! It tastes like a Frosty from Wendy's. I didn't take a picture of the snow cream because I was way too excited to eat it before it melted! 

To top off our last few days, our water heater has died. Just died. So if you can smell me right now, I apologize. Juusssttt kiddinggg. I got a shower before it died. I'll just have to wing it until tomorrow when we will hopefully have a new one installed! So excited that my in-laws are possibly coming tomorrow to help with the install! And soooo appreciative! I am also appreciative of ALL of our awesome friends who have offered up their own hot water to us! You guys are so sweet! Unfortunately for Ian and anyone else that has to see me- I am going to try and hold out! Simply to avoid the hassle of packing up my toiletries and trying to drive somewhere in this mess!

Ian headed back to work today, sadly. We basically got lucky with the way his schedule fell this week- that's the only reason we had the time together that we did! And I loved every second! But there are lives to save and surely enough there will be people attempting to go out on the roads that will need saving. I am going to attempt to be productive around the house today! 

I hope everyone is having a wonderful week!! 






No comments: