Saturday, January 4, 2014

Bathroom on a Budget

Hello and happy new year! I made it through the holidays without losing my mind- hooray! Our holiday this year involved hosting in-laws for Christmas Eve dinner and then traveling (with dogs) to visit the other two sets of in-laws for about a week! It was crazy- as always- but so much fun! Before we left and before our company came to stay with us, I was determined to make a few updates to the boring guest bathroom upstairs- without spending a lot of money. Here is what it looked like before: 







Just a lot of blah and white. So I figured I could make a few changes (quickly) before our guests arrived. 

Step 1: I painted the walls with some leftover paint we had- the blue-gray color that we had originally painted our dining room. Cost= $0

Step 2: Updated the artwork using the existing frames. To do this, I googled "black and white bird picture" and "black and white tree picture", found pictures I liked, and printed them on regular printer paper. I spray painted the mats black, ripped open the back of the existing frames, and added the new photos- so simple! Cost= $0



Step 3: Paint the storage cabinet above the toilet. I had originally taken it down but realized that we truly need all the storage space we can get in this room!! It is tiny! I used leftover spray paint for this project. Cost= $0


Step 4: Frame the mirror. I used molding pieces found at Lowe's to create the frame. It makes such a huge difference! This project cost ~$35 and was the most expensive thing I did in this room. 

Here are the after pictures:





We would eventually like to replace the countertop and the floor (see below):



But these changes will do for now!! Thanks for reading! 






2 comments:

House in the Heights said...

Isn't it amazing who much of an impact simple changes can make!? This room feels so much warmer!

Katie J said...

Nice! I like it!