Sunday, August 25, 2013

Project on the horizon...

I am SO SO SO excited to announce...

...that there are round-edge wooden treads underneath the carpet on our stairs!!!

What does that mean, you say?

It means that we can tear up the nasty carpet on our staircase and I can paint or stain the steps!!!

I've been wanting to tear up a corner of the carpet to see what was underneath for a few months now. I think I was scared to know. Because knowing our luck, I figured it would not be what I wanted to see. Some people have plywood- which would not be ideal. And others (like us!!) have actual stair treads that have rounded edges. 

My reasoning behind this project is this: I cannot, for the life of me, keep those stairs clean and free of dog hair! My vacuum has a piece that detaches which is supposedly to be used on the stairs. Well, I tried that and it was unsuccessful. So I am at a loss. 

All of this means that there will be a rather large project on the horizon. Hopefully it can be done in a weekend. Am I being overly optimistic? The steps would include:

1. Tearing up the carpet. 
2. Removing all of the tacks and nails- I have a feeling this may be the longest step. Just from the small corner we tore up, I could see at least 30-40 tacks! Eek!! 
3. Sanding each tread. 
4. Staining or painting the treads- I can't decide which I'd rather do. If I stain them, I will have to try to match the hardwood floor color. If I paint them, I'd probably paint them black because it's my favorite color!!! Duh! And I am avoiding white at all costs. I can't imagine trying to keep that clean!
5. Painting the risers. Those would be painted white! 
6. Admire the hard work? I think that would be the last step.. 

I'm a little nervous for this one! Am I going to be in over my head? Once I tear up the carpet, there is no turning back! 

Here is a look at the carpet:



What do you think? 

No comments: